Wednesday, April 5, 2017

Lilies on Scudder Pond: Day 5 of NaPoWriMo

I can’t not look, not  
   stop to examine the flesh
         of a new leaf, the curvaceous
          cut delineating two points

opposite a tip, a lovely arrow
   pointing at its neighbor.
      There’s my friend  resting
          against my brother’s shoulder.

And another and another,
   happy to have made it through
       cold winds and slicing blades
skimming across thick ice.

Surely with spring returning,
   they’re happy, unfurling their
      striated flesh: green, yellow,
purple and orange. 

I take out my camera and
   shoot, though photos of leaves
       crowd my computer—but who
can ignore the pad's procession

Filling in the pond, covering 
   shimmering water in thick leaves,
      stems, and eventually waxy yellow
flowers sparkling like the sun.  




No comments:

Featured

Poet for the Land

  Nancy Canyon, Writing the Land Poet As a Writing the Land poet, I adopted Todd Creek, a Whatcom Land Trust parcel, last year, my one year ...